~ 16 hrs/wk
Work as an integral part of our bioregional seedshed
Ideal start date: March 6, 2023
Why You Should Apply:
- Because you see saving seeds and growing robust regional food systems as a powerful way to address the interlocking challenges of climate change, social justice, COVID-19, and globalization.
- Because you want to work with a group of passionate and curious individuals who are finding meaningful, practical ways to affect change in the world.
About Us: Snake River Seed Cooperative is a grassroots employee and producer-owned cooperative located in Boise, Idaho. We bring together small farmers and home gardeners around the Intermountain West to grow a robust regional seedshed by saving and sharing seeds. We offer our employees a caring, interesting, and inclusive work environment, with opportunities for education and creative freedom in their jobs. We are a very small business where everyone’s ideas and contributions are valued as integral to the work we do in service to the seeds and our community.
- Sacred Relationship to the Earth - We work together to assist the seeds and their ecological collaborators by growing, saving, and sharing them.
- Seed Sovereignty - We believe that each region should have the ability to grow a local seedshed that provides for their community.
- Producer Driven Economic Models - We want farmers to be in control of what they grow, and we look to them for guidance on how to operate our co-op.
- Anti-Racism - We actively seek out ways to be anti-racist and pursue anti-racist policies in our business and communities.
- Local Economy - We support and sustain our regional economy through a network of independent businesses.
About the Position: We’re looking for a person based in the Treasure Valley who can step in as our Employee Coordinator and Operations Manager.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Conduct individual meetings with employees to ensure their needs are being met and to align their work with the needs of the business
- Collaboratively writes grant applications with the Finance Manager and Cooperative members
- Assists employees with goal setting
- Stays aware of our long-term vision to ensure daily operations are in line with our business goals
- Packs seeds and fulfills orders as needed
- Hires and trains new employees
- Collaborates with all colleagues on Marketing monthly
- Manages our primary email account for online inquiries and forwards messages to coworkers, depending on the scope of the email
- Proofreads blog posts and social media posts
- Regularly reviews and updates employee manual
- Answers the company phone and assists customers with questions
- Prepares Operations Report for quarterly Board Meetings
- Attends quarterly Board Meetings when possible to answer questions from the Board, or answers questions via email if presence is not possible during the meeting
- Prepares and presents Operations Report at Annual Member Meeting and Annual Grower Meeting
- Hosts a Q&A session on Operations at the Annual Member Meeting and Annual Grower Meeting
- Creates an inventory of seed packets annually in June
- Receives and confirms accuracy of packet order twice per year
- Organizes packet shelves to add new packets twice per year
- Helps staff our booth at the Boise Farmers Market in winter and spring
- Completes ad hoc tasks throughout the year to support the Cooperative
- Attends other events to represent the Cooperative
Desired qualifications: Our ideal colleague...
- Cares about seed sovereignty
- Has gardening or farming experience
- Is detail-oriented and thoughtful
- Demonstrates excellent customer service
- Is interested in the intersections between small-scale farming, seed saving, food sovereignty, and social & environmental justice
- Appreciates clear and kind communication
- Is comfortable working with technology such as: Excel, Shopify, the Google Business Suite, printer dialogs for packaging (Xerox and Rollo), Facebook, and Instagram
- Has a flexible work style and is comfortable adapting to the changing environment of a seasonally-dependent business
- Has the ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Appreciates working in a scrappy, grassroots type of business
- Respects seeds as living beings
- Is excited by the opportunity to work at an employee and producer-owned cooperative
- Celebrates their personal strengths and acknowledges personal challenges with a compassionate team of coworkers
- Wants to learn more about seed saving
Details of the Position:
- Location: Our seedy headquarters is located in Boise, Idaho near Orchard and Franklin.
- Status: Part time, year round. 12-16 hours per week.
- Compensation: Starts at $17/hour
- Benefits: 16 hours per year paid sick leave, 32 hours per year paid time off (starts 6 months after hire date), on-the-job training and educational opportunities.
- Opportunity to become a co-owner of the business 6 months after hire date.
- Please email your cover letter and resume to Reiley Carney at email@example.com.