~ 40 hrs/wk
Work as an integral part of our bioregional seedshed
Ideal start date: March 6, 2023
Why You Should Apply:
- Because you see saving seeds and growing robust regional food systems as a powerful way to address the interlocking challenges of climate change, social justice, COVID-19, and globalization.
- Because you want to work with a group of passionate and curious individuals who are finding meaningful, practical ways to affect change in the world.
About Us: Snake River Seed Cooperative is a grassroots employee and producer-owned cooperative located in Boise, Idaho. We bring together small farmers and home gardeners around the Intermountain West to grow a robust regional seedshed by saving and sharing seeds. We offer our employees a caring, interesting, and inclusive work environment, with opportunities for education and creative freedom in their jobs. We are a very small business where everyone’s ideas and contributions are valued as integral to the work we do in service to the seeds and our community.
- Sacred Relationship to the Earth - We work together to assist the seeds and their ecological collaborators by growing, saving, and sharing them.
- Seed Sovereignty - We believe that each region should have the ability to grow a local seedshed that provides for their community.
- Producer Driven Economic Models - We want farmers to be in control of what they grow, and we look to them for guidance on how to operate our co-op.
- Anti-Racism - We actively seek out ways to be anti-racist and pursue anti-racist policies in our business and communities.
- Local Economy - We support and sustain our regional economy through a network of independent businesses.
About the Position: We’re looking for a person based in the Treasure Valley who can step in as our Online Order Specialist. Your responsibilities will include:
- Hand-packs tens of thousands of seed packets annually
- Fulfills online orders with speed, care, and accuracy
- Keeps the order fulfillment area well organized
- Responds to customer inquiries regarding online orders and seed availability
- Assists with seed inventory
- Assists with wholesale order fulfillment as needed
- Plays a critical role in website maintenance using the Shopify platform
- Answers the office phone and responds to voicemails in a timely manner
- Completes ad hoc tasks throughout the year to support the Cooperative
- Optional: Attends regional events to represent the Cooperative
Desired qualifications: Our ideal colleague...
- Cares about seed sovereignty
- Has gardening or farming experience
- Is detail-oriented and thoughtful
- Is interested in the intersections between small-scale farming, seed saving, food sovereignty, and social & environmental justice
- Appreciates clear and kind communication
- Demonstrates excellent customer service
- Is comfortable working with technology such as: Excel, Shopify, the Google Business Suite, printer dialogs for packaging (Xerox and Rollo), Facebook, Canva, and Instagram
- Is well-versed in using Shopify for order fulfillment, including customer inquiries, and has experience using extension apps
- Has a flexible work style and is comfortable adapting to the changing environment of a seasonally-dependent business
- Has the ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Appreciates working in a scrappy, grassroots type of business
- Respects seeds as living beings
- Is excited by the opportunity to work at an employee and producer-owned cooperative
- Celebrates their personal strengths and acknowledges personal challenges with a compassionate team of coworkers
- Wants to learn more about seed saving
Details of the Position:
- Location: Our seedy headquarters is located in Boise, Idaho near Orchard and Franklin.
- Status: Part time, year round. 40 hours per week.
- Compensation: Starts at $16/hour
- Benefits: 40 hours per year paid sick leave, 80 hours per year paid time off (starts 6 months after hire date), on-the-job training and educational opportunities.
- Opportunity to become a co-owner of the business 6 months after hire date.
- Please email your cover letter and resume to Reiley Carney at firstname.lastname@example.org.